Re: [BUG] non archived WAL removed during production crash recovery

From: Jehan-Guillaume de Rorthais <jgdr(at)dalibo(dot)com>
To: Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: masao(dot)fujii(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com, pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org, michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz
Subject: Re: [BUG] non archived WAL removed during production crash recovery
Date: 2020-04-08 13:26:03
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 08 Apr 2020 17:39:09 +0900 (JST)
Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> At Tue, 7 Apr 2020 17:17:36 +0200, Jehan-Guillaume de Rorthais
> <jgdr(at)dalibo(dot)com> wrote in
> > > +/* Recovery state */
> > > +typedef enum RecoveryState
> > > +{
> > > + NOT_IN_RECOVERY = 0,
> > > + IN_CRASH_RECOVERY,
> > > + IN_ARCHIVE_RECOVERY
> > > +} RecoveryState;
>
> I'm not sure the complexity is required here. Are we asuume that
> archive_mode can be changed before restarting?

I assume it can yes. Eg., one can restore a PITR backup as a standby and change
the value of archive_mode to either off, on or always.

> At Thu, 2 Apr 2020 15:49:15 +0200, Jehan-Guillaume de Rorthais
> <jgdr(at)dalibo(dot)com> wrote in
> > > Ok, so our *current* consensus seems the followings. Right?
> > >
> > > - If archive_mode=off, any WAL files with .ready files are removed in
> > > crash recovery, archive recoery and standby mode.
> >
> > yes
>
> If archive_mode = off no WAL files are marked as ".ready".

Sure, on the primary side.

What if you build a standby from a backup with archive_mode=on with
some .ready files in there?

> > > - If archive_mode=on, WAL files with .ready files are removed only in
> > > standby mode. In crash recovery and archive recovery cases, they keep
> > > remaining and would be archived after recovery finishes (i.e., during
> > > normal processing).
> >
> > yes
> >
> > > - If archive_mode=always, in crash recovery, archive recovery and
> > > standby mode, WAL files with .ready files are archived if WAL archiver
> > > is running.
> >
> > yes
>
> So if we assume archive_mode won't be changed after a crash before
> restarting, if archive_mode = on on a standy, WAL files are not marked
> as ".ready".

.ready files can be inherited from the old primary when building the standby,
depending on the method. See previous explanations from Fujii-san:
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/ca964b3a-61a0-902e-c7b3-3abbc01a921f%40oss.nttdata.com#ddd6cbad6c5e576e2e1ae53868ca3eea

> If it is "always", WAL files that are to be archived are
> marked as ".ready". Finally, the condition reduces to:
>
> If archiver is running, archive ".ready" files. Otherwise ignore
> ".ready" and just remove WAL files after use.
> >
> > > That is, WAL files with .ready files are removed when either
> > > archive_mode!=always in standby mode or archive_mode=off.
> >
> > sounds fine to me.
>
> That situation implies that archive_mode has been changed.

Why? archive_mode may have been "always" on the primary when eg. a snapshot has
been created.

Regards,