Re: Reinitialize stack base after fork (for the benefit of rr)?

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: Reinitialize stack base after fork (for the benefit of rr)?
Date: 2020-04-06 03:56:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On 2020-04-05 20:35:50 -0700, Peter Geoghegan wrote:
> I have found that it's useful to use rr to debug Postgres by following
> certain recipes. I'll share some of the details now, in case anybody
> else wants to start using rr and isn't sure where to start.

Perhaps put it on a wiki page?

> I have a script that records a postgres session using rr with these options:
>
> rr record -M /code/postgresql/$BRANCH/install/bin/postgres \
> -D /code/postgresql/$BRANCH/data \
> --log_line_prefix="%m %p " \
> --autovacuum=off \

Were you doing this because of occasional failures in autovacuum
workers? If so, that shouldn't be necessary after the stack base change
(previously workers IIRC also could start with the wrong stack base -
but didn't end up checking stack depth except for expression indexes).

Greetings,

Andres Freund