Re: [BUG] non archived WAL removed during production crash recovery

From: Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: jgdr(at)dalibo(dot)com
Cc: masao(dot)fujii(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com, pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org, michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz
Subject: Re: [BUG] non archived WAL removed during production crash recovery
Date: 2020-04-03 01:14:17
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers

At Thu, 2 Apr 2020 17:44:50 +0200, Jehan-Guillaume de Rorthais <jgdr(at)dalibo(dot)com> wrote in
> On Thu, 2 Apr 2020 23:55:46 +0900
> Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com> wrote:
>
> [...]
> > > Well, it seems to me that this is what you suggested few paragraph away:
> > >
> > > «.ready files are removed when either archive_mode!=always in standby
> > > mode»
> >
> > Yes, so I'm fine with that as the first consensus because the behavior
> > is obviously better than the current one. *If* the case where no WAL files
> > should be removed is found, I'd just like to propose the additional patch.
>
> Do you mean to want to produce the next patch yourself?

No. Fujii-san is saying that he will address it, if the fix made in
this thread is found to be imperfect later.

He suspects that WAL files should be preserved at least in certain
cases even if the file persists forever, but the consensus here is to
remove files under certain conditions so as not to no WAL file
persists in pg_wal directory.

Feel free to propose the next version!

regards.

--