Re: Allow continuations in "pg_hba.conf" files

From: Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: david(dot)zhang(at)highgo(dot)ca
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org, postgresql(dot)org(at)coelho(dot)net
Subject: Re: Allow continuations in "pg_hba.conf" files
Date: 2020-04-02 04:25:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

At Thu, 02 Apr 2020 00:20:12 +0000, David Zhang <david(dot)zhang(at)highgo(dot)ca> wrote in
> Hi Fabien,
> Should we consider the case "\ ", i.e. one or more spaces after the backslash?
> For example, if I replace a user map
> "mymap /^(.*)@mydomain\.com$ \1" with
> "mymap /^(.*)@mydomain\.com$ \ "
> "\1"
> by adding one extra space after the backslash, then I got the pg_role="\\"
> but I think what we expect is pg_role="\\1"

FWIW, I don't think so. Generally a trailing backspace is an escape
character for the following newline. And '\ ' is a escaped space,
which is usualy menas a space itself.

In this case escape character doesn't work generally and I think it is
natural that a backslash in the middle of a line is a backslash
character itself.

regards.

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi