Re: WAL usage calculation patch

From: Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Kirill Bychik <kirill(dot)bychik(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: WAL usage calculation patch
Date: 2020-03-29 12:31:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi Amit,

Sorry I just noticed your mail.

On Sun, Mar 29, 2020 at 05:12:16PM +0530, Amit Kapila wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 29, 2020 at 1:26 PM Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> >
> > I'm not sure that I get your point. I'm assuming that you meant
> > parallel-read-only queries, but surely buffer usage infrastructure for
> > parallel query relies on the same approach as non-parallel one (each node
> > computes the process-local pgBufferUsage diff) and sums all of that at the end
> > of the parallel query execution. I also don't see how whether the query is
> > read-only or not is relevant here as far as instrumentation is concerned,
> > especially since read-only query can definitely do writes and increase the
> > count of dirtied buffers, like a write query would. For instance a hint
> > bit change can be done in a parallel query AFAIK, and this can generate WAL
> > records in wal_log_hints is enabled, so that's probably one way to test it.
> >

> Yeah, that way we can test it. Can you try that?
>
> > I now think that not adding support for WAL buffers in EXPLAIN output in the
> > initial patch scope was a mistake, as this is probably the best way to test the
> > WAL counters for parallel queries. This shouldn't be hard to add though, and I
> > can work on it quickly if there's still a chance to get this feature included
> > in pg13.
> >

> I am not sure we will add it in Explain or not (maybe we need inputs
> from others in this regard), but if it helps in testing this part of
> the patch, then it is a good idea to write a patch for it. You might
> want to keep it separate from the main patch as we might not commit
> it.

As I just wrote in [1] that's exactly what I did. Using parallel query and
concurrent update on a table I could see that WAL usage for parallel query
seems to be working as one could expect.

> Sure, I am fine with that but I am not sure if it is a good idea to
> commit this patch without having a way to compute WAL utilization for
> those commands.

I'm generally fine with waiting for a fix for the existing issue to be
committed. But as the feature freeze is approaching, I hope that it won't mean
postponing this feature to v14 because a related 2yo bug has just been
discovered, as it would seem a bit unfair.