Re: error context for vacuum to include block number

From: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>
To: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Masahiko Sawada <masahiko(dot)sawada(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: error context for vacuum to include block number
Date: 2020-03-27 06:16:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Mar 26, 2020 at 11:44:24PM -0500, Justin Pryzby wrote:

> > Can't that be avoided if you check if cbarg->indname is non-null in
> > vacuum_error_callback as we are already doing for
> > VACUUM_ERRCB_PHASE_TRUNCATE?

> > How is it possible that we move to the non-index phase without
> > clearing indname as we always revert back the old phase information?
>
> The crash scenario I'm trying to avoid would be like statement_timeout or other
> asynchronous event occurring between two non-atomic operations.
>
> I said that there's an issue no matter what order we set indname/phase;
> If we wrote:
> |cbarg->indname = indname;
> |cbarg->phase = phase;
> ..and hit a timeout (or similar) between setting indname=NULL but before
> setting phase=VACUUM_INDEX, then we can crash due to null pointer.
>
> But if we write:
> |cbarg->phase = phase;
> |if (cbarg->indname) {pfree(cbarg->indname);}
> |cbarg->indname = indname ? pstrdup(indname) : NULL;
> ..then we can still crash if we timeout between freeing cbarg->indname and
> setting it to null, due to acccessing a pfreed allocation.

If "phase" is updated before "indname", I'm able to induce a synthetic crash
like this:

+if (errinfo->phase==VACUUM_ERRCB_PHASE_VACUUM_INDEX && errinfo->indname==NULL)
+{
+kill(getpid(), SIGINT);
+pg_sleep(1); // that's needed since signals are delivered asynchronously
+}

And another crash if we do this after pfree but before setting indname.

+if (errinfo->phase==VACUUM_ERRCB_PHASE_VACUUM_INDEX && errinfo->indname!=NULL)
+{
+kill(getpid(), SIGINT);
+pg_sleep(1);
+}

I'm not sure if those are possible outside of "induced" errors. Maybe the
function is essentially atomic due to no CHECK_FOR_INTERRUPTS or similar?

--
Justin