Re: color by default

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Juan José Santamaría Flecha <juanjo(dot)santamaria(at)gmail(dot)com>, Gavin Flower <GavinFlower(at)archidevsys(dot)co(dot)nz>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: color by default
Date: 2020-03-26 06:36:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Mar 23, 2020 at 09:32:08AM +0100, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Attached is the documentation patch reworked.

Thanks!

> Should we delete all the repetitive mentions on the man pages?

I am not sure that deleting all the mentions would be a good idea, as
we'd lose track of which tool supports coloring or not, and that could
confuse users. What about switching the existing paragraph to a
simple sentence with a link to the new appendix you are adding? Say:
"pg_foo supports <place_your_link_here>colorized output</>".

> + <para>
> + The actual colors to be used are configured using the environment variable
> + (note plural). The value is a colon-separated list of
> + <literal><replaceable>key</replaceable>=<replaceable>value</replaceable></literal>
> + pairs. The keys specify what the color is to be used for. The values are
> + SGR (Select Graphic Rendition) specifications, which are interpreted by the
> + terminal.
> + </para>

A reference to SGR to understand better what's the list of values
supported would be nice?

> + <para>
> + The default value is <literal>error=01;31:warning=01;35:locus=01</literal>.
> + </para>

Could it be possible to have more details about what those three
fields map to?
--
Michael