Re: REGEXP_REPLACE : How to use a column value in the regex

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: abdulrahim(dot)s(at)gmail(dot)com, pgsql-docs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: REGEXP_REPLACE : How to use a column value in the regex
Date: 2020-03-18 02:39:50
Lists: pgsql-docs

On Mon, Feb 17, 2020 at 06:37:11AM +0000, PG Doc comments form wrote:

> Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/12/functions-matching.html
>
> The documentation doesn't talk about any regex syntax for using a column
> from the db in the pattern. There is no mention if this is NOT supported.
> All the examples are using static string and none using a DB column
> values.
> e.g. I have a field *portfolio* which had data like CloudPlatform (Public),
> CloudPlatform (Private), MobilePlatfom (Public),.. etc
> These values are coming from another table *platformtypes" which has these
> values Public, Private, Hybrid...etc.
> I want to replace these types from the portfolio names, i was able to do it
> using string
> *SELECT
> Portfolios.PortfolioName,REGEXP_REPLACE(Portfolios.PortfolioName,'(\(Public\))',''),
> but I would like to use something like
> *REGEXP_REPLACE(Portfolios.PortfolioName,'(\(platformtypes.Name\)),'')*

Sure, you can do it ('a' -> 'X'):

CREATE TABLE TEST (x text);
INSERT INTO test VALUES ('a');
SELECT REGEXP_REPLACE(relname, x, 'X') FROM pg_class, test;
regexp_replace
pg_toXst_36526
pg_toXst_36526_index
test
pg_stXtistic
pg_type
pg_toXst_2600

You can also combine column names with literal text ('ta' -> 'YY'):

SELECT REGEXP_REPLACE(relname, 't' || x, 'YY') FROM pg_class, test;
regexp_replace
pg_toast_36526
pg_toast_36526_index
test
pg_sYYtistic

I didn't think it was worth documenting this.

EnterpriseDB https://enterprisedb.com

+ Ancient Roman grave inscription +