Re: Add PostgreSQL home page to --help output

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>, Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Add PostgreSQL home page to --help output
Date: 2020-03-16 21:55:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Feb 28, 2020 at 02:02:17PM +0100, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> > > For URLs completely on their own, not using <> makes sense. Copy pasting <url>
> > > into the location bar of Safari makes it load the url, but Firefox and Chrome
> > > turn it into a search engine query (no idea about Windows browsers).
> > >
> > > For URLs in running text it's not uncommon to have <> around the URL for the
> > > very reason you mention. Looking at --help and manpages from random open
> > > source tools there seems to be roughly a 50/50 split on using <> or not.
> >
> > RFC3986 discuss this in <https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3986#appendix-C>, with
> > the content mostly carried over from RFC2396 appendix E.
>
> I think we weren't going to get any more insights here, so I have committed
> it as is.

Some new feedback. I find this output confusing since there is a colon
before the <>:

Report bugs to <pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>.
PostgreSQL home page: <https://www.postgresql.org/>

Does this look better (no colon)?

Report bugs to <pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>.
PostgreSQL home page <https://www.postgresql.org/>

or this (colon, no <>)?

Report bugs to <pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>.
PostgreSQL home page: https://www.postgresql.org/

or maybe this?

Report bugs: pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
PostgreSQL home page: https://www.postgresql.org/

or this?

Report bugs <pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
PostgreSQL home page <https://www.postgresql.org/>

I actually have never seen URLs in <>, only email addresses. I think
using <> for URLs and emails is confusing because they usually have
different actions, unless we want to add mailto:

Report bugs <mailto:pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
PostgreSQL home page <https://www.postgresql.org/>

or

Report bugs mailto:pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
PostgreSQL home page https://www.postgresql.org/

I kind of prefer the last one since the can both be pasted directly into
a browser.

EnterpriseDB https://enterprisedb.com

+ Ancient Roman grave inscription +