Re: pg11+: pg_ls_*dir LIMIT 1: temporary files .. not closed at end-of-transaction

From: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>, "Bossart, Nathan" <bossartn(at)amazon(dot)com>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: pg11+: pg_ls_*dir LIMIT 1: temporary files .. not closed at end-of-transaction
Date: 2020-03-12 12:11:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Mar 11, 2020 at 03:32:38PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > I patched this one to see what it looks like and to allow /hopefully/ moving
> > forward one way or another with the pg_ls_tmpfile() patch set (or at least
> > avoid trying to do anything there which is too inconsistent with this fix).
>
> I reviewed this, added some test cases, and pushed it, so that we can see

Thanks, tests were on my periphery..

| In passing, fix bogus error report for stat() failure: it was
| whining about the directory when it should be fingering the
| individual file. Doubtless a copy-and-paste error.

Thanks again ; that was my 0001 patch on the other thread. No rebase conflict
even ;)
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20191228101650.GG12890%40telsasoft.com

> Do you want to have a go at that?

First draft attached. Note that I handled pg_ls_dir, even though I'm proposing
on the other thread to collapse/merge/meld it with pg_ls_dir_files [0].
Possibly that's a bad idea with tuplestore, due to returning a scalar vs a row
and needing to conditionally call CreateTemplateTupleDesc vs
get_call_result_type. I'll rebase that patch later today.

I didn't write test cases yet. Also didn't look for functions not on your
list.

I noticed this doesn't actually do anything, but kept it for now...except in
pg_ls_dir error case:

src/include/utils/tuplestore.h:/* tuplestore_donestoring() used to be required, but is no longer used */
src/include/utils/tuplestore.h:#define tuplestore_donestoring(state) ((void) 0)

I found a few documentation bits that I think aren't relevant, but could
possibly be misread to encourage the bad coding practice. This is about *sql*
functions:

--
Justin

[0] https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20200310183037.GA29065%40telsasoft.com
v9-0008-generalize-pg_ls_dir_files-and-retire-pg_ls_dir.patch

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-SRF-avoid-leaking-resources-if-not-run-to-completion.patch text/x-diff 27.2 KB