Re: Allowing ALTER TYPE to change storage strategy

From: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Allowing ALTER TYPE to change storage strategy
Date: 2020-03-05 21:17:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Mar 05, 2020 at 02:52:44PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
>Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> writes:
>> FWIW I'm not suggesting you go and implement #1 or #2 for me, that'd be
>> up to me I guess. But I disagree there's no use case for it, and #3
>> makes this featuer useless for me.
>
>OK, then we need to do something else. Do you have ideas for other
>alternatives?

I don't have any other ideas, unfortunately. And I think if I had one,
it'd probably be some sort of ugly hack anyway :-/

>If not, we probably should bite the bullet and go for #1, since
>I have little doubt that we'll need that someday anyway.
>The trick will be to keep down the cache invalidation overhead...

Yeah, I agree #1 seems like the cleanest/best option. Are you worried
about the overhead due to the extra complexity, or overhead due to
cache getting invalidated for this particular reason?

regards

--
Tomas Vondra http://www.2ndQuadrant.com