Re: [HACKERS] WAL logging problem in 9.4.3?

From: Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: noah(at)leadboat(dot)com
Cc: robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, 9erthalion6(at)gmail(dot)com, andrew(dot)dunstan(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com, hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi, michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] WAL logging problem in 9.4.3?
Date: 2020-03-02 07:53:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

At Sun, 1 Mar 2020 11:56:32 -0800, Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com> wrote in
> On Thu, Feb 27, 2020 at 04:00:24PM +0900, Kyotaro Horiguchi wrote:
> > It sounds somewhat obscure.
>
> I see. I won't use that.

Thanks.

> > Coulnd't we enumetate examples? And if we
> > could use pg_relation_filenode, I think we can use just
> > "filenode". (Thuogh the word is used in the documentation, it is not
> > defined anywhere..)
>
> func.sgml does define the term. Nonetheless, I'm not using it.

Ah, "The filenode is the base component oif the file name(s) used for
the relation".. So it's very similar to "on-disk file" in a sense.

> > ====
> > In <literal>minimal</literal> level, no information is logged for
> > permanent relations for the remainder of a transaction that creates
> > them or changes their <code>filenode</code>. For example, CREATE
> > TABLE, CLUSTER or REFRESH MATERIALIZED VIEW are the command of that
> > category.
> > ====
> >
> > # sorry for bothering you..
>
> Including examples is fine. Attached v36nm has just comment and doc changes.
> Would you translate this into back-patch versions for v9.5 through v12?

The explicit list of commands that initiate the WAL-skipping mode
works for me. I'm going to work on the tranlation right now.

regards.

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi
NTT Open Source Software Center