Re: Allow auto_explain to log plans before queries are executed

From: Yugo NAGATA <nagata(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Allow auto_explain to log plans before queries are executed
Date: 2020-02-27 01:18:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 26 Feb 2020 18:51:21 +0100
Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 27, 2020 at 02:35:18AM +0900, Yugo NAGATA wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Attached is a patch for allowing auto_explain to log plans before
> > queries are executed.
> >
> > Currently, auto_explain logs plans only after query executions,
> > so if a query gets stuck its plan could not be logged. If we can
> > know plans of stuck queries, we may get some hints to resolve the
> > stuck. This is useful when you are testing and debugging your
> > application whose queries get stuck in some situations.
>
> Indeed that could be useful.
>
> > This patch adds new option log_before_query to auto_explain.
>
> Maybe "log_before_execution" would be better?

Thanks! This seems better also to me.

> > Setting auto_explain.log_before_query option logs all plans before
> > queries are executed regardless of auto_explain.log_min_duration
> > unless this is set -1 to disable logging. If log_before_query is
> > enabled, only duration time is logged after query execution as in
> > the case of when both log_statement and log_min_duration_statement
> > are enabled.
>
> I'm not sure about this behavior. The final explain plan is needed at least if
> log_analyze, log_buffers or log_timing are enabled.

In the current patch, log_before_query (will be log_before_execution)
has no effect if log_analyze is enabled in order to avoid to log the
same plans twice. Instead, is it better to log the plan always twice,
before and after the execution, if log_before_query is enabled
regardless of log_min_duration or log_analyze?

Regards,
Yugo Nagata

--
Yugo NAGATA <nagata(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp>