Re: Print physical file path when checksum check fails

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: hzhang(at)pivotal(dot)io, andres(at)anarazel(dot)de, thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com, sdn(at)amazon(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Print physical file path when checksum check fails
Date: 2020-02-19 04:28:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Feb 19, 2020 at 01:07:36PM +0900, Kyotaro Horiguchi wrote:
> If we also verify checksum in md layer, callback is overkill since the
> immediate caller consumes the event immediately. We can signal the
> error by somehow returning a file tag.

FWIW, I am wondering if there is any need for a change here and
complicate more the code. If you know the block number, the page size
and the segment file size you can immediately guess where is the
damaged block. The first information is already part of the error
message, and the two other ones are constants defined at
compile-time.
--
Michael