Re: Clean up some old cruft related to Windows

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Clean up some old cruft related to Windows
Date: 2020-02-19 04:22:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Feb 18, 2020 at 05:54:43PM +0900, Kyotaro Horiguchi wrote:
> I understand that this is not for back-patching.

Cleanups don't go to back-branches.

> At Tue, 18 Feb 2020 16:44:59 +0900, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz> wrote in
> The unmodified section just above is griping that "Strange they call
> UNIX an application". The expression "application such as UNIX" seems
> corresponding to the gripe. I tried to find the soruce of the phrase
> but the above URL (.._crt_signal.asp) sent me "We're sorry, the page
> you requested cannot be found.":(

Yes, we should use that instead:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/cpp/c-runtime-library/reference/signal

> Do we let the new PG version for already-unsupported platforms? If I
> don't missing anything Windows Server 2008 is already
> End-Of-Extended-Support (2020/1/14) along with Windows 7.

Windows is known for keeping things backward compatible, so I don't
see any reason to not allow Postgres to run on those versions.
Outdated of course, still they could be used at runtime even if they
cannot compile the code.

> By the way that pharse is considering Windows environment and perhaps
> cmd.exe. So the folloinwg description:
>
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/install-windows-full.html

Let's tackle that as a separate patch as this is MSVC-dependent.

>> <para>
>> <productname>PostgreSQL</productname> can be expected to work on these operating
>> systems: Linux (all recent distributions), Windows (Win2000 SP4 and later),
>> FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, macOS, AIX, HP/UX, and Solaris.
>> Other Unix-like systems may also work but are not currently
>> being tested. In most cases, all CPU architectures supported by
>
> (The coming version of) PostgreSQL doesn't support Win2000 SP4.

Right, per the change for src/common/exec.c. I am wondering though if
we don't have more portability issues if we try to run Postgres on
something older than XP as there has been many changes in the last
couple of years, and we have no more buildfarm members that old.
Anyway, that's not worth the cost. For now I have applied to the tree
the smaller version as that's still a good cut.
--
Michael