Re: Internal key management system

From: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Masahiko Sawada <masahiko(dot)sawada(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Sehrope Sarkuni <sehrope(at)jackdb(dot)com>, cary huang <hcary328(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Moon, Insung" <tsukiwamoon(dot)pgsql(at)gmail(dot)com>, Ibrar Ahmed <ibrar(dot)ahmad(at)gmail(dot)com>, Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(dot)momjian(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Internal key management system
Date: 2020-02-08 15:16:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

I wonder if this is meant to support external KMS systems/services like
Vault (from HashiCorp) or CloudHSM (from AWS) or a hardware HSM. AFAICS
the current implementation does not allow storing keys in such external
systems, right? But it seems kinda reasonable to want to do that, when
already using the HSM for other parts of the system.

Now, I'm not saying the first version we commit has to support this, or
that it necessarily makes sense. But for example MariaDB seems to
support this [1].

[1] https://mariadb.com/kb/en/encryption-key-management/

--
Tomas Vondra http://www.2ndQuadrant.com