Re: Internal key management system

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Masahiko Sawada <masahiko(dot)sawada(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Sehrope Sarkuni <sehrope(at)jackdb(dot)com>, cary huang <hcary328(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Moon, Insung" <tsukiwamoon(dot)pgsql(at)gmail(dot)com>, Ibrar Ahmed <ibrar(dot)ahmad(at)gmail(dot)com>, Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(dot)momjian(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Internal key management system
Date: 2020-02-07 02:36:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On 2020-02-07 11:18:29 +0900, Masahiko Sawada wrote:
> Another idea we discussed is to internally integrate pgcrypto with the
> key management system.

Perhaps this has already been discussed (I only briefly looked): I'd
strongly advise against having any new infrastrure depend on
pgcrypto. Its code quality imo is well below our standards and contains
serious red flags like very outdated copies of cryptography algorithm
implementations. I think we should consider deprecating and removing
it, not expanding its use. It certainly shouldn't be involved in any
potential disk encryption system at a later stage.

Greetings,

Andres Freund