Re: FK violation in partitioned table after truncating a referenced partition

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Jehan-Guillaume de Rorthais <jgdr(at)dalibo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: FK violation in partitioned table after truncating a referenced partition
Date: 2020-02-06 21:12:38
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On 2020-Feb-04, Jehan-Guillaume de Rorthais wrote:

> Please, find in attachment a bug fix proposal where a truncate on a
> partition cascade to the referencing table and truncate all its
> partitions if applicable.
>
> The patch make sure heap_truncate_find_FKs find all referencing relations,
> directly **and indirectly** through their parent table.
>
> When considering the various way of fixing this, I thought about calling
> find_all_inheritors on all relations returned by heap_truncate_find_FKs to add
> them to the list or relation to truncate (I have a working patch for this as
> well). However, I felt like heap_truncate_find_FKs was the real suspect here
> and was responsible to find all referencing relations.

Hello, thanks for reporting and patching.

I agree that patching heap_truncate_find_FKs is a reasonable way to fix.
I propose a slightly different formulation: instead of the loop that you
have, we can just use the second loop, and add more parent constraints
to the list if any constraint we scan in turn has a parent constraint.
So we don't repeat the whole thing, but only that second loop.

Attachment Content-Type Size
v2-0001-Fix-TRUNCATE-on-a-partition-to-apply-CASCADE-to-p.patch text/x-diff 7.6 KB