Re: pg_stat_progress_basebackup - progress reporting for pg_basebackup, in the server side

From: Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: amitlangote09(at)gmail(dot)com
Cc: masao(dot)fujii(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com, masahiko(dot)sawada(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_stat_progress_basebackup - progress reporting for pg_basebackup, in the server side
Date: 2020-02-06 00:50:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

At Wed, 5 Feb 2020 18:53:19 +0900, Amit Langote <amitlangote09(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote in
> Last two messages weren’t sent to the list.

Oops! Sorry, I made a mistake sending the mail.

> On Wed, Feb 5, 2020 at 18:25 Amit Langote <amitlangote09(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Feb 5, 2020 at 6:15 PM Kyotaro Horiguchi
> > <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> > > 2020年2月5日(水) 17:54 Amit Langote <amitlangote09(at)gmail(dot)com>:
> > >>
> > So, maybe you're saying that "waiting for checkpoint" is ambiguous and
> > most people will assume it means "...to start". As for me, I assume
> > it ends with "...to finish".

I'm not sure "most peple will assume" or not, so I said "I'm not
sure". For example, I feel strangeness to use "I'm waiting for Amit"
to express that I'm waiting Amit to leave there. That phrase gives me
such kind of uneasiness.

I thought of "establishing checkpoint" or "running a checkpoint" as
other candidates.

> > > Understood, sorry for my noise.
> >
> > Actually, that's an important point to consider and we should strive
> > to use words that are unambiguous.

I think it's not ambiguous if knowing what happens during backup so my
concern was not unambiguity, but that it might give feeling of
strangeness that that sentense appears in that context.

regards.

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi
NTT Open Source Software Center