Re: Documentation: 21.5. Default Roles

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: "Jonathan S(dot) Katz" <jkatz(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, R Ransbottom <rirans(at)comcast(dot)net>, Ian Barwick <ian(dot)barwick(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>, pgsql-docs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Documentation: 21.5. Default Roles
Date: 2020-02-03 21:25:10
Lists: pgsql-docs

On 2020-Feb-03, Jonathan S. Katz wrote:

> So, if there was something done to redirect people from specific
> deprecated documentation pages historically, it was before my time. Most
> of the redirects have been as general purposes ones (e.g. /docs/12), the
> rules we put in for getting rid of "static", and the release notes,
> which still receives some negative feedback towards it for different
> reasons (though I think overall the effort was well-received). Anyway,
> if we had a redirect in place, I'd want us to do it well.

I +1 changing the title and +1 having the redirect. That said, I think
people landing in a page titled "predefined roles" when they're looking
for a page titled "default roles" would be quite confused for a while
and perhaps continue to search for the page they think they're looking
for. (I know, it has happened to me.) I suggest we add a very short
paragraph --maybe a <note>-- to the effect that feature-X used to be
called feature-Y, immediately following the section title.