Re: Prevent pg_basebackup running as root

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Ian Barwick <ian(dot)barwick(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Pgsql Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Prevent pg_basebackup running as root
Date: 2020-01-30 07:00:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Jan 30, 2020 at 03:38:54PM +0900, Ian Barwick wrote:
> 2020年1月30日(木) 14:57 Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>:

I have never noticed that your client was configured in Japanese :)

> I think we can skip the second sentence altogether. It'd be theoretically
> easy enough to up with some combination of group permissions,
> sticky bits, umask, ACL settings etc/ which would allow one user to
> modify the files owned by another user,

Okay, fine by me.

> Hmm, I was using the existing message from initdb and pg_ctl for consistency:

Ahh, indeed. pg_rewind has inherited its message from pg_resetwal.

> I wonder if it would be worth settling on a common message and way of emitting
> it, each utility does it slightly differently.

Not sure that's a good idea. Each tool has its own properties, so it
is good to keep some flexibility in the error message produced.

Anyway, your patch looks like a good idea to me, so let's see if
others have opinions or objections about it.
--
Michael