Re: Expose lock group leader pid in pg_stat_activity

From: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Sergei Kornilov <sk(at)zsrv(dot)org>, Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Expose lock group leader pid in pg_stat_activity
Date: 2020-01-28 13:09:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Jan 28, 2020 at 12:36:41PM +0100, Julien Rouhaud wrote:
>On Sat, Jan 18, 2020 at 3:51 AM Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz> wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Jan 17, 2020 at 05:07:55PM +0100, Julien Rouhaud wrote:
>> > Oh indeed. But unless we hold some LWLock during the whole function
>> > execution, we cannot guarantee a consistent view right?
>>
>> Yep. That's possible.
>>
>> > And isn't it already possible to e.g. see a parallel worker in
>> > pg_stat_activity while all other queries are shown are idle, if
>> > you're unlucky enough?
>>
>> Yep. That's possible.
>>
>> > Also, LockHashPartitionLockByProc requires the leader PGPROC, and
>> > there's no guarantee that we'll see the leader before any of the
>> > workers, so I'm unsure how to implement what you said. Wouldn't it be
>> > better to simply fetch the leader PGPROC after acquiring a shared
>> > ProcArrayLock, and using that copy to display the pid, after checking
>> > that we retrieved a non-null PGPROC?
>>
>> Another idea would be to check if the current PGPROC entry is a leader
>> and print in an int[] the list of PIDs of all the workers while
>> holding a shared LWLock to avoid anything to be unregistered. Less
>> handy, but a bit more consistent. One problem with doing that is
>> that you may have in your list of PIDs some worker processes that are
>> already gone when going through all the other backend entries. An
>> advantage is that an empty array could mean "I am the leader, but
>> nothing has been registered yet to my group lock." (note that the
>> leader adds itself to lockGroupMembers).
>
>So, AFAICT the LockHashPartitionLockByProc is required when
>iterating/modifying lockGroupMembers or lockGroupLink, but just
>getting the leader pid should be safe. Since we'll never be able to
>get a totally consistent view of data here, I'm in favor of avoiding
>taking extra locks here. I agree that outputting an array of the pid
>would be more consistent for the leader, but will have its own set of
>corner cases. It seems to me that a new leader_pid column is easier
>to handle at SQL level, so I kept that approach in attached v4. If
>you have strong objections to it. I can still change it.

I agree a separate "leader_id" column is easier to work with, as it does
not require unnesting and so on.

As for the consistency, I agree we probably can't make this perfect, as
we're fetching and processing the PGPROC records one by one. Fixing that
would require acquiring a much stronger lock on PGPROC, and perhaps some
other locks. That's pre-existing behavior, of course, it's just not very
obvious as we don't have any dependencies between the rows, I think.
Adding the leader_id will change, that, of course. But I think it's
still mostly OK, even with the possible inconsistency.

regards

--
Tomas Vondra http://www.2ndQuadrant.com