Re: [HACKERS] WAL logging problem in 9.4.3?

From: Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: noah(at)leadboat(dot)com
Cc: robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, 9erthalion6(at)gmail(dot)com, andrew(dot)dunstan(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com, hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi, michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] WAL logging problem in 9.4.3?
Date: 2020-01-27 06:08:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

By the way, the previous version looks somewhat different from what I
thought I posted..

At Sun, 26 Jan 2020 20:57:00 -0800, Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com> wrote in
> On Mon, Jan 27, 2020 at 01:44:13PM +0900, Kyotaro Horiguchi wrote:
> > > The purpose of this loop is to create relcache entries for rels locked in the
> > > current transaction. (The "r == NULL" case happens for rels no longer visible
> > > in catalogs. It is harmless.) Since RelationIdGetRelationCache() never
> > > creates a relcache entry, calling it defeats that purpose.
> > > RelationIdGetRelation() is the right function to call.
> >
> > I thought that the all required entry exist in the cache but actually
> > it's safer that recreate dropped caches. Does the following works?
> >
> > r = RelationIdGetRelation(relid);
> > + /* if not found, fetch a "dropped" entry if any */
> > + if (r == NULL)
> > + r = RelationIdGetRelationCache(relid);
> > if (r == NULL)
> > continue;
>
> That does not materially change the function's behavior. Notice that the
> function does one thing with "r", which is to call RelationClose(r). The
> function calls RelationIdGetRelation() for its side effects, not for its
> return value.

..Right. The following loop accesses relcache hash directly and no
need for storing returned r to the array rels..

regards.

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi
NTT Open Source Software Center