Re: We're getting close to the end of 2020-01 CF

From: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: We're getting close to the end of 2020-01 CF
Date: 2020-01-21 16:20:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Jan 21, 2020 at 12:25:14PM -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>On 2020-Jan-21, Tomas Vondra wrote:
>
>> About half of the WoA patches are inactive for a long time, i.e. have
>> been marked like that before 2020-01 (and sometimes long before that)
>> and there have been no substantive updates. The chance of that changing
>> (i.e. getting a new patch version and a meaningful review) in the last
>> couple of days of the CF seem slim, and there's plenty of patches that
>> are being actively discussed, so I plan to start moving those inactive
>> patches to 2020-03 over the weekend/early next week.
>
>In the previous commitfest that I ran, I closed as returned-with-feedback
>any patches that were waiting-on-author and had not changed for a very
>long time. My rationale was that preserving those dead entries serves
>no useful purpose. If the author or somebody else wants to move the
>patch forward, they can post a new version now, or submit a new CF entry
>later. We don't need zombies.

Yeah, you're right returning them with feedback seems more appropriate,
given the long inactivity. Plus, the CF app apparently does not allow
moving WoA patches to the next CF anyway.

>I did provide a list of such patches, so that any interested onlookers
>can act.

Makes sense. I think the patches this would apply to are:

- fix for BUG #3720: wrong results at using ltree
https://commitfest.postgresql.org/26/2054/
(WoA since 2019/11/25)

- Fix Deadlock Issue in Single User Mode When IO Failure Occurs
https://commitfest.postgresql.org/26/2003/
(WoA since 2019/11/25)

- Use heap_multi_insert for catalog relations
https://commitfest.postgresql.org/26/2125/
(WoA since 2019/11/26)

- Expose queryid in pg_stat_activity in log_line_prefix
https://commitfest.postgresql.org/26/2069/
(WoA since 2019/11/29)

- Shared Memory Context
https://commitfest.postgresql.org/26/2325/
(WoA since 2019/12/01)

- Shared system catalog cache
https://commitfest.postgresql.org/26/2326/
(WoA since 2019/12/01)

- Transactions involving multiple postgres foreign servers
https://commitfest.postgresql.org/26/1574/
(WoA since 2019/12/01)

- Speed up transaction completion faster after many relations are
accessed in a transaction
https://commitfest.postgresql.org/26/1993/
(WoA since 2019/12/01)

- [WIP] Temporal query processing with range types - Temporal
Normalization
https://commitfest.postgresql.org/26/2045/
(WoA since 2019/12/01)

- Autoprepare: implicitly replace literals with parameters and store
generalized plan
https://commitfest.postgresql.org/26/1747/
(WoA since 2019/12/01)

- Shared-memory based stats collector
https://commitfest.postgresql.org/26/1708/
(WoA since 2019/12/01)

- Report all I/O errors in buffile.c
https://commitfest.postgresql.org/26/2365/
(WoA since 2019/12/10)

- Preserve versions of initdb-created collations in pg_upgrade
https://commitfest.postgresql.org/26/2328/
(WoA since 2019/11/29)

- Global temporary tables
https://commitfest.postgresql.org/26/2233/
(WoA since 2019/12/01)

- Add more compile-time asserts
https://commitfest.postgresql.org/26/2286/
(WoA since 2019/12/24)

- Invalid permission check in pg_stats for functional indexes
https://commitfest.postgresql.org/26/2274/
(WoA since 2019/11/28)

- Fix PostgreSQL server build and install problems under MSYS2
https://commitfest.postgresql.org/26/2366/
(WoA since 2019/12/31)

- FETCH FIRST clause WITH TIES option
https://commitfest.postgresql.org/26/1844/
(WoA since 2019/11/28)

- Ltree, lquery, and ltxtquery binary protocol support
https://commitfest.postgresql.org/26/2242/
(WoA since 2019/11/29)

- Improve search for missing parent downlinks in amcheck
https://commitfest.postgresql.org/26/2140/
(WoA since 2019/11/29)

- Run-time pruning for ModifyTable
https://commitfest.postgresql.org/26/2173/
(WoA since 2019/11/27)

- Connection string usage for Core Postgresql client applications
https://commitfest.postgresql.org/26/2354/
(WoA since 2019/11/25)

- Psql patch to show access methods info
https://commitfest.postgresql.org/26/1689/
(WoA since 2019/11/27)

- Row filtering for logical replication
https://commitfest.postgresql.org/26/2270/
(WoA since 2019/11/28)

Those are the patches that have been set as WoA before this CF, and have
not been updated since. It's quite possible the state is stale for some
of those patches, although I've tried to check if there were any
messages on the list.

I'll ping the authors off-list too.

regards

--