Re: SLRU statistics

From: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: "tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)fujitsu(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: SLRU statistics
Date: 2020-01-20 16:37:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Jan 20, 2020 at 01:04:33AM +0000, tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)fujitsu(dot)com wrote:
>From: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
>> One of the stats I occasionally wanted to know are stats for the SLRU
>> stats (we have couple of those - clog, subtrans, ...). So here is a WIP
>> version of a patch adding that.
>
>How can users take advantage of this information? I think we also need
>the ability to set the size of SLRU buffers. (I want to be freed from
>the concern about the buffer shortage by setting the buffer size to its
>maximum. For example, CLOG would be only 1 GB.)

You're right the users can't really take advantage of this - my primary
motivation was providing a feedback for devs, benchmarking etc. That
might have been done with DEBUG messages or something, but this seems
more convenient.

I think it's unclear how desirable / necessary it is to allow users to
tweak those caches. I don't think we should have a GUC for everything,
but maybe there's some sort of heuristics to determine the size. The
assumption is we actually find practical workloads where the size of
these SLRUs is a performance issue.

regards

--
Tomas Vondra http://www.2ndQuadrant.com