Re: libpq parameter parsing problem

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Oleksandr Shulgin <oleksandr(dot)shulgin(at)zalando(dot)de>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Jobin Augustine <jobinau(at)gmail(dot)com>, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>, pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: libpq parameter parsing problem
Date: 2020-01-17 06:29:45
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Thu, Jan 16, 2020 at 09:17:23AM +0100, Oleksandr Shulgin wrote:
> At the same time, we could still be more specific if we would say
> "delimiters" instead of the generic "special meaning". Should we then
> provide an exhaustive list of delimiters or is it clear enough like that?
> For example, the whitespace doesn't need to be percent-encoded (it doesn't
> hurt as you might be able to spare the quoting if using it as an argument
> to a shell command), while the "equal sign", when used in the query string
> part, does need encoding.

This term comes from you, as of 2d612ab, and that does not look like
something to change because reserved characters have "sometimes" a
special meaning in this context. A reference to the RFC is sufficient
IMO, readers could always look at that reference for a precise list
and that would bloat the docs more than necessary.
--
Michael