Re: Efficient output for integer types

From: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
Cc: Andrew Gierth <andrew(at)tao11(dot)riddles(dot)org(dot)uk>, Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Efficient output for integer types
Date: 2020-01-11 13:31:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

Any plans regarding committing this patch? I see the thread is silent
since September 24, when the last patch version was posted. The patch is
already marked as RFC since December, when David changed the status. I
don't have any opinion whether the patch is RFC or not (it might well
be), but IMHO it should have been mentioned in this thread.

I did a quick test to see how much more efficient this is, and for a
table with 10 bigint columns and 5M random rows the COPY to /dev/null
went from 3000 ms to ~2700 ms. That's not the 30% speedup mentioned by
David in the first message, but 10% is still pretty nice.

Of course, for real-world use cases the speedup will be lower because of
using other data types too, I/O etc. But it's still nice.

So, is anyone opposed to pushing this? If not, who'll to do that? I see
Andrew Gierth was involved in the discussions on IRC and it's related to
the Ryu patch, so maybe he want's to take care of this. Andrew?

regards

--
Tomas Vondra http://www.2ndQuadrant.com