distinguish index cost component from table component

From: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: distinguish index cost component from table component
Date: 2020-01-03 14:14:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-performance

Is it possible to tell what component of the cost estimate of an index scan is
from the index reads vs heap ?

It would help to be able to set enable_bitmapscan=FORCE (to make all index
scans go through a bitmap). Adding OR conditions can sometimes do this. That
includes cost of bitmap manipulation, but it's good enough for me.

Or maybe explain should report it.