Re: BUG #16182: Error in logs from "renaming temporary statistics"

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: johanfo(at)gmail(dot)com, pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #16182: Error in logs from "renaming temporary statistics"
Date: 2020-01-02 14:07:03
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Thu, Jan 02, 2020 at 06:55:37AM +0000, PG Bug reporting form wrote:
> I have checked the permissions of the folder and files, and I can not see
> why this occurs.

This error would occur on Windows when a concurrent process, external
to Postgres, has a file opened in non-shared mode while Postgres tries
to work on it. In this case the work is done by pgrename() on
Postgres side which is a custom wrapper in src/port/dirmod.c to handle
this kind of scenarios with a retry-and-sleep logic, but it gives up
after 10s (100 tries of 100ms each).

This issue could be usually caused by an antivirus or something that
scans the files of the disk where Postgres data is located. In this
case, the best thing you could do is to prevent the concurrent
activity from happening by filtering out Postgres data folder. Nobody
can guess why this file is held opened that long though without
looking at your server when the problem happens.
--
Michael