Re: Extended Query, flush or sync ?

From: Raimon Fernandez <coder(at)montx(dot)com>
To: John DeSoi <desoi(at)pgedit(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general List <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Extended Query, flush or sync ?
Date: 2009-12-20 19:11:49
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-interfaces

Hi John,

I'm not seeing my e-mails on the PostgreSQL General List ...

??????

On 19/12/2009, at 16:32, John DeSoi wrote:

> On Dec 19, 2009, at 2:40 AM, Raimon Fernandez wrote:
>
>>> I send:
>>>
>>> parse
>>> bind
>>> describe
>>> execute
>>> sync
>>>
>>> and then loop on the connection stream to receive the responses.
>>
>> And do you get the parseComplete after sending the parse or after sending the sync ?
>
> I don't really know or care. I send the entire sequence above and then read the results handling each possible case. In other words, I don't read anything after each message; I only read after sending the sync.

I see, I don't know why I was sending each command in a separate communication, I can pack all of them and send them at the same time, except de Parse, that will go at the connection beggining in my case.

>> And also from the docs:
>>
>> "If Execute terminates before completing the execution of a portal (due to reaching a nonzero result- row count), it will send a PortalSuspended message; t
>> he appearance of this message tells the frontend that another Execute should be issued against the same portal to complete the operation. "
>>
>> If I execute with a row limit of 1000, and I know there are more than 1000 rows, I get the portalSuspended as described.
>>
>> But, If a issue a new Execute, postgresql says that myPortal doesn't exist anymore.
>>
>> How I can get those 1000 rows ?
>
> Are you using a named portal? Are you reading all responses until you receive a ready for query response? There are a lot of details - it really helped me to look at the psql source.

I'm using Portals with my own name, I'll give a shot later ...

thanks !

regards,

r.