Re: PostgreSQL, NetBSD and NFS

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "D'Arcy J(dot)M(dot) Cain" <darcy(at)druid(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, current-users(at)netbsd(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL, NetBSD and NFS
Date: 2003-01-30 17:07:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"D'Arcy J.M. Cain" <darcy(at)druid(dot)net> writes:
> I have posted before about this but I am now posting to both NetBSD and
> PostgreSQL since it seems to be some sort of interaction between the two. I
> have a NetAPP filer on which I am putting a PostgreSQL database. I run
> PostgreSQL on a NetBSD box. I used rsync to get the database onto the filer
> with no problem whatsoever but as soon as I try to open the database the NFS
> mount hangs and I can't do any operations on that mounted drive without
> hanging.

That's darn odd. But please be more specific: what's "open the
database"? Start the postmaster? Start a psql? Issue a query?

> Does the shared memory stuff use disk at all?

No, I can't see that there would be any connection there.

Perhaps the next thing to do is to strace (ktrace, trace, truss,
whatever system-call tracing utility you got) the postmaster and
child processes. If we could determine what system call is hanging up,
we might be a little closer to solving the mystery.