string literal continuations in C

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>
Subject: string literal continuations in C
Date: 2019-12-23 19:51:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Per a recent thread, these patches remove string literals split with
\-escaped newlines. The first is for the message "materialize mode
required, but it is not allowed in this context" where it's more
prevalent, and we keep perpetuating it; the second is for other
messages, whose bulk is in dblink and tablefunc. I think the split is
pointless and therefore propose to push both together as a single
commit, but maybe somebody would like me to leave those contrib modules
alone.

There are many other error messages that are split with no \; I would
prefer not to have them, but maybe it would be too intrusive to change
them all. So let's do this for now and remove this one point of
ugliness.

--
Álvaro Herrera 39°49'30"S 73°17'W

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-Fix-line-continuation.patch text/x-diff 11.4 KB
0002-Fix-line-continuation.patch text/x-diff 8.9 KB