Re: [HACKERS] [WIP] Effective storage of duplicates in B-tree index.

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>
Cc: Anastasia Lubennikova <a(dot)lubennikova(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] [WIP] Effective storage of duplicates in B-tree index.
Date: 2019-12-17 21:58:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Dec 12, 2019 at 06:21:20PM -0800, Peter Geoghegan wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 3, 2019 at 12:13 PM Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie> wrote:
> > The new criteria/heuristic for unique indexes is very simple: If a
> > unique index has an existing item that is a duplicate on the incoming
> > item at the point that we might have to split the page, then apply
> > deduplication. Otherwise (when the incoming item has no duplicates),
> > don't apply deduplication at all -- just accept that we'll have to
> > split the page. We already cache the bounds of our initial binary
> > search in insert state, so we can reuse that information within
> > _bt_findinsertloc() when considering deduplication in unique indexes.
>
> Attached is v26, which adds this new criteria/heuristic for unique
> indexes. We now seem to consistently get good results with unique

In the past we tried to increase the number of cases where HOT updates
can happen but were unable to. Would this help with non-HOT updates?
Do we have any benchmarks where non-HOT updates cause slowdowns that we
can test on this?

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com

+ Ancient Roman grave inscription +