Re: Increase footprint of %m and reduce strerror()

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Increase footprint of %m and reduce strerror()
Date: 2019-12-05 02:36:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Dec 04, 2019 at 03:32:11PM +0900, Kyotaro Horiguchi wrote:
> It sounds good to me. Message unification (including printf) needs
> somehow treating trailing new lines, though. About translation
> burden, I'm not sure how the message unification eases translators'
> work. Identical messages of different commands appear having different
> neighbours in different po files.

Newlines are a problem. Still there are cases where we don't use
them. See for example pg_waldump.c. It seems like it would be first
interesting to fix the code paths where we know we can reduce the
duplicates.

> By the way aren't we going to have ereport on frontend?

Not sure that this will happen, there are quite a few things to
consider related to what error hints and such should be for frontends.
That's quite a different discussion..
--
Michael