Re: progress report for ANALYZE

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Tatsuro Yamada <tatsuro(dot)yamada(dot)tf(at)nttcom(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: Amit Langote <amitlangote09(at)gmail(dot)com>, vignesh C <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: progress report for ANALYZE
Date: 2019-11-28 13:37:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2019-Nov-28, Tatsuro Yamada wrote:

> Hmmm... I understand your opinion but I'd like to get more opinions too. :)
> Do you prefer these column names? See below:

Here's my take on it:

<Columns of the view>
pid
datid
datname
relid
phase
sample_blks_total
sample_blks_scanned
ext_stats_total
ext_stats_computed
child_tables_total
child_tables_done
current_child_table_relid

It seems to make sense to keep using the "child table" terminology in
that last column; but since the column carries an OID then as Robert
said it should have "relid" in the name. For the other two "child
tables" columns, not using "relid" is appropriate because what they have
is not relids.

I think there should be an obvious correspondence in columns that are
closely related, which there isn't if you use "sample" in one and "heap"
in the other, so I'd go for "sample" in both.