Re: Attempt to consolidate reading of XLOG page

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Antonin Houska <ah(at)cybertec(dot)at>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Attempt to consolidate reading of XLOG page
Date: 2019-11-25 03:30:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Nov 22, 2019 at 07:56:32PM -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> I see no reason to leave ws_off. We can move that to XLogReaderState; I
> did that here. We also need the offset in WALReadError, though, so I
> added it there too. Conceptually it seems clearer to me this way.

Yeah, that seems cleaner.

> What do you think of the attached?

Looks rather fine to me.

> BTW I'm not clear what errors can pread()/pg_pread() report that do not
> set errno. I think lines 1083/1084 of WALRead are spurious now.

Because we have no guarantee that errno will be cleared if you do a
partial read where errno is not set, so you may finish by reporting
the state of a previous failed read instead of the partially-failed
one depending on how WALReadError is treated? In short, I don't see
any actual reason why it would be good to remove the reset of errno
either before the calls to pread and pwrite().
--
Michael