Re: fix "Success" error messages

From: TAKATSUKA Haruka <harukat(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Subject: Re: fix "Success" error messages
Date: 2019-11-21 01:42:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello, pgsql-hackers

I'm gathering information about the following error.

FATAL: could not access status of transaction ..
DETAIL: Could not read from file (pg_clog/.... or pg_xact/....) ...: Success.

This error has caused the server to fail to start with recovery.
I got a report that it happend repeatedly at the newly generated
standby cluster. I gave them advice to comfirm the low level server
environment.

However, in addition to improving the message, should we retry to read
the rest of the data in the case reading too few bytes?
What about a limited number of retries instead of a complete loop?

---
Haruka Takatsuka / SRA OSS, Inc. Japan