Re: checkpointer: PANIC: could not fsync file: No such file or directory

From: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>
To: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: checkpointer: PANIC: could not fsync file: No such file or directory
Date: 2019-11-19 22:49:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Nov 20, 2019 at 09:26:53AM +1300, Thomas Munro wrote:
> Perhaps we should not panic if we failed to open (not fsync) the file,
> but it's not the root problem here which is that somehow we thought we
> should be fsyncing a file that had apparently been removed already
> (due to CLUSTER, VACUUM FULL, DROP, rewriting ALTER etc).

FYI, I *do* have scripts which CLUSTER and(or) VAC FULL (and REINDEX), but they
were disabled due to crash in 12.0 (which was resolved in 12.1) and it wouldn't
have run anyway, since they run after the backup script (which failed) in a
shell with set -e.

I think TRUNCATE does that too..but I don't think that any processes which do
TRUNCATE are running on that server.

Thanks,
Justin