Re: ssl passphrase callback

From: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(dot)dunstan(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ssl passphrase callback
Date: 2019-11-13 20:23:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Nov 13, 2019 at 01:20:43PM +0000, Simon Riggs wrote:
>On Wed, 13 Nov 2019 at 13:08, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:

>> state
>> parameter
>> passphrase
>> >
>> > I get the callback-is-easier issue with shared objects, but are we
>> > expecting to pass in more information here than we do for
>> > archive_command? I would think not. What I am saying is that if we
>> > don't think passing things in works, we should fix all these external
>> > commands, or something. I don't see why ssl_passphrase_command is
>> > different, except that it is new.
>

>> Or is it related to _securely_passing something?
>>

>Yes

I think it would be beneficial to explain why shared object is more
secure than an OS command. Perhaps it's common knowledge, but it's not
quite obvious to me.

>> > Also, why was this patch posted without any discussion of these issues?
>> > Shouldn't we ideally discuss the API first?
>>
>> I wonder if every GUC that takes an OS command should allow a shared
>> object to be specified --- maybe control that if the command string
>> starts with a # or something.
>>

>Very good idea

If it's about securely passing sensitive information (i.e. passphrase)
as was suggested, then I think that only applies to fairly small number
of GUCs.

regards

--
Tomas Vondra http://www.2ndQuadrant.com