Re: segmentation fault when cassert enabled

From: Jehan-Guillaume de Rorthais <jgdr(at)dalibo(dot)com>
To: Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: segmentation fault when cassert enabled
Date: 2019-11-12 17:00:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, 28 Oct 2019 16:47:02 +0900 (JST)
Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> At Fri, 25 Oct 2019 12:28:38 -0400, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote in
> > Jehan-Guillaume de Rorthais <jgdr(at)dalibo(dot)com> writes:
> > > When investigating for the bug reported in thread "logical replication -
> > > negative bitmapset member not allowed", I found a way to seg fault
> > > postgresql only when cassert is enabled.
> > > I hadn't time to digg further yet. However, I don't understand why this
> > > crash is triggered when cassert is enabled.
> >
> > Most likely, it's not so much assertions that provoke the crash as
> > CLOBBER_FREED_MEMORY, ie the actual problem here is use of already-freed
> > memory.
>
> Agreed.
>
> By the way I didn't get a crash by Jehan's script with the
> --enable-cassert build of the master HEAD of a few days ago.

I am now working with HEAD and I can confirm I am able to make it crash 99% of
the time using my script.
It feels like a race condition between cache invalidation and record
processing from worker.c. Make sure you have enough write activity during the
test.

> FWIW I sometimes got SEGVish crashes or mysterious misbehavor when
> some structs were changed and I didn't do "make clean". Rarely I
> needed "make distclean". (Yeah, I didn't ususally turn on
> --enable-depend..)

I'm paranoid, I always do:

* make distclean
* git reset; git clean -df