Re: Feature improvement: can we add queryId for pg_catalog.pg_stat_activity view?

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Julien Rouhaud <julien(dot)rouhaud(at)free(dot)fr>
Cc: Evgeny Efimkin <efimkin(at)yandex-team(dot)ru>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Feature improvement: can we add queryId for pg_catalog.pg_stat_activity view?
Date: 2019-11-11 08:37:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Sep 11, 2019 at 06:30:22PM +0200, Julien Rouhaud wrote:
> The thing is that pg_stat_statements assigns a 0 queryid in the
> post_parse_analyze_hook to recognize utility statements and avoid
> tracking instrumentation twice in case of utility statements, and then
> compute a queryid base on a hash of the query text. Maybe we could
> instead fully reserve queryid "2" for utility statements (so forcing
> queryid "1" for standard queries if jumbling returns 0 *or* 2 instead
> of only 0), and use "2" as the identifier for utility statement
> instead of "0"?

Hmm. Not sure. At this stage it would be nice to gather more input
on the matter, and FWIW, I don't like much the assumption that a query
ID of 0 is perhaps a utility statement, or perhaps nothing depending
on the state of a backend entry, or even perhaps something else
depending how on how modules make use and define such query IDs.
--
Michael