Re: Refactor parse analysis of EXECUTE command

From: Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com
Cc: tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Refactor parse analysis of EXECUTE command
Date: 2019-11-05 10:27:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello.

At Mon, 4 Nov 2019 08:53:18 +0100, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote in
> On 2019-11-02 16:00, Tom Lane wrote:
> > Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> writes:
> >> This patch moves the parse analysis component of ExecuteQuery() and
> >> EvaluateParams() into a new transformExecuteStmt() that is called from
> >> transformStmt().
> > Uhmm ... no actual patch attached?
>
> Oops, here it is.

The patch just moves the first half of EvaluateParams that is
irrelevant to executor state to before portal parameters are set. I
looked with a suspect that extended protocol or SPI are affected but
AFAICS it doesn't seem to.

I dug into repository and found that transformExecuteStmt existed at
the time of implementing PREPARE-EXECUTE statements(28e82066a1) and
removed by the commit b9527e9840 which is related to
plan-invalidation.

git show -s --format=%B b9527e984092e838790b543b014c0c2720ea4f11
> In service of this, rearrange utility-statement processing so that parse
> analysis does not assume table schemas can't change before execution for
> utility statements (necessary because we don't attempt to re-acquire locks
> for utility statements when reusing a stored plan). This requires some

Isn't this related to the current structure?

regards.

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi
NTT Open Source Software Center