Re: v12.0: interrupt reindex CONCURRENTLY: ccold: ERROR: could not find tuple for parent of relation ...

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Andreas Karlsson <andreas(at)proxel(dot)se>
Subject: Re: v12.0: interrupt reindex CONCURRENTLY: ccold: ERROR: could not find tuple for parent of relation ...
Date: 2019-10-24 04:59:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Oct 15, 2019 at 11:40:47AM -0500, Justin Pryzby wrote:
> Not only can't I DROP the _ccold indexes, but also dropping the table doesn't
> cause them to be dropped, and then I can't even slash dee them anymore:

Yes, I can confirm the report. In the case of this scenario the
reindex is waiting for the first transaction to finish before step 5,
the cancellation causing the follow-up process to not be done
(set_dead & the next ones). So at this stage the swap has actually
happened. I am still analyzing the report in depths, but you don't
have any problems with a plain index when interrupting at this stage,
and the old index can be cleanly dropped with the new one present, so
my first thoughts are that we are just missing some more dependency
cleanup at the swap phase when dealing with a partition index.
--
Michael