Re: jsonb_set() strictness considered harmful to data

From: "Peter J(dot) Holzer" <hjp-pgsql(at)hjp(dot)at>
To: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: jsonb_set() strictness considered harmful to data
Date: 2019-10-23 18:33:06
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

On 2019-10-22 18:06:39 -0700, David G. Johnston wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 22, 2019 at 3:55 PM Peter J. Holzer <hjp-pgsql(at)hjp(dot)at> wrote:
> On 2019-10-20 13:20:23 -0700, Steven Pousty wrote:
> > I would think though that raising an exception is better than a
> > default behavior which deletes data.
> > As an app dev I am quite used to all sorts of "APIs" throwing
> > exceptions and have learned to deal with them.
> >
> > This is my way of saying that raising an exception is an
> > improvement over the current situation. May not be the "best"
> > solution but definitely an improvement.
>
> I somewhat disagree. SQL isn't in general a language which uses
> exceptions a lot. It does have the value NULL to mean "unknown", and
> generally unknown combined with something else results in an unknown
> value again:
>
> [...]
>

> Throwing an exception for a pure function seems "un-SQLy" to me. In
> particular, jsonb_set does something similar for json values as replace
> does for strings, so it should behave similarly.
>

> Now if only the vast majority of users could have and keep this level of
> understanding in mind while writing complex queries so that they remember to
> always add protections to compensate for the unique design decision that SQL
> has taken here...

I grant that SQL NULL takes a bit to get used to. However, it is a core
part of the SQL language and everyone who uses SQL must understand it (I
don't remember when I first stumbled across "select * from t where c =
NULL" returning 0 rows, but it was probably within the first few days of
using a database). And personally I find it much easier to deal with
concept which are applied consistently across the whole language than
those which sometimes apply and sometimes don't seemingly at random,
just because a developer thought it would be convenient for the specific
use-case they had in mind.

hp

--
_ | Peter J. Holzer | we build much bigger, better disasters now
|_|_) | | because we have much more sophisticated
__/ | http://www.hjp.at/ | -- Ross Anderson <https://www.edge.org/>