Value of Transparent Data Encryption (TDE)

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Value of Transparent Data Encryption (TDE)
Date: 2019-09-30 21:40:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

For plan for full-cluster Transparent Data Encryption (TDE) is here:

https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Transparent_Data_Encryption#TODO_for_Full-Cluster_Encryption

The values it has, I think, are:

* encrypts data for anyone with read-access to the file system (but not
memory)

* I think write access would allow access to the encryption keys
by modifying postgresql.conf or other files

* This is particularly useful if the storage is remote

* encrypts non-logical/non-pg_dump-like backups

* fulfills several security compliance requirements

* encrypts storage

* perhaps easier to implement than file system encryption

Is that accurate?

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com

+ Ancient Roman grave inscription +