Re: pg_upgrade (Checking for reg* data types)

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Gerrit Fouche <gerrit(dot)fouche(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_upgrade (Checking for reg* data types)
Date: 2019-09-30 20:29:15
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mon, Sep 30, 2019 at 11:15:47AM +0200, Gerrit Fouche wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I am trying to upgrade Postgresql 11.5 to 12 RC1, OS Centos 6. Running
> pg_upgrade with --check it fails with "Checking for reg* data types in user
> tables" The table listed are: pg_ts_dict,pg_ts_parser. Trying to drop the
> tables I get msg " permission denied: "pg_ts_dict" is a system catalog" I also
> for same reason can not remove the oids "ALTER TABLE pg_ts_parser set without
> oids;"
>
> From pg_catalog.pg_extension the following are listed:
> plpgsql,pg_stat_statements,tablefunc. So the Text search extension is not in
> use.
>
> This database was upgrade since Postgresql 8.3 by using "pg_dumpall -p 5432 |
> psql -d postgres -p 5433" and not pg_upgrade.

Wow, 8.3 --- that is old. Please do psql \d on those two tables and
show us the output. System tables are created by pg_upgrade as fresh,
not copied from the old cluster, so I am confused how you have reg*
entries in there.

Also, I wonder if there are pg_ts_dict and pg_ts_parser tables that are
not in pg_catalog, but in some other schema, and those are what is
complaining about. (The pg_upgrade query specifically skips checking
pg_catalog tables.)

I think maybe pg_upgrade should always output the schema name for such
objects --- I think someone propsed a patch for that recently.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com

+ Ancient Roman grave inscription +