Re: Unstable select_parallel regression output in 12rc1

From: Christoph Berg <myon(at)debian(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Unstable select_parallel regression output in 12rc1
Date: 2019-09-29 19:31:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Re: Tom Lane 2019-09-28 <24917(dot)1569692191(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
> > (There's some extension modules
> > where the testsuite fails at a much higher rate, getting all targets
> > to pass at the same time is next to impossible there :(. )
>
> I feel your pain, believe me. Used to fight the same kind of problems
> when I was at Red Hat. Are any of those extension modules part of
> Postgres?

No, external ones. The main offenders at the moment are pglogical and
patroni (admittedly not an extension in the strict sense). Both have
extensive testsuites that exercise replication scenarios that are
prone to race conditions. (Maybe we should just run less tests for the
packaging.)

Christoph