Re: Two pg_rewind patches (auto generate recovery conf and ensure clean shutdown)

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Paul Guo <pguo(at)pivotal(dot)io>
Cc: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Jimmy Yih <jyih(at)pivotal(dot)io>, Ashwin Agrawal <aagrawal(at)pivotal(dot)io>, Alexey Kondratov <a(dot)kondratov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
Subject: Re: Two pg_rewind patches (auto generate recovery conf and ensure clean shutdown)
Date: 2019-09-27 19:52:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2019-Sep-27, Paul Guo wrote:

> I'm using --no-ensure-shutdown in the new version unless there are better
> suggestions.

That sounds sufficiently good. I pushed this patch, after fixing a few
smallish problems, such as an assertion failure because of the
terminating \n in the error message when "postgres --single" fails
(which I tested by introducing a typo in the command). I also removed
the short option, because I doubt that this option is useful enough to
warrant using up such an important shorthand (Maybe if it had been
-\ or -% or -& I would have let it through, since I doubt anybody would
have wanted to use those for anything else). But if somebody disagrees,
they can send a patch to restore it, and we can then discuss the merits
of individual chars to use.

I also added quotes to DEVNULL, because we do that everywhere. Maybe
there exists a system somewhere that requires this ... !!??

Finally, I split out the command in the error message in case it fails.

Thanks.