Re: Proposal: Add more compile-time asserts to expose inconsistencies.

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: "Smith, Peter" <peters(at)fast(dot)au(dot)fujitsu(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Proposal: Add more compile-time asserts to expose inconsistencies.
Date: 2019-09-18 07:40:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Sep 18, 2019 at 06:46:24AM +0000, Smith, Peter wrote:
> I have identified some OSS code where more compile-time asserts could be added.
>
> Mostly these are asserting that arrays have the necessary length to
> accommodate the enums that are used to index into them.
>
> In general the code is already commented with warnings such as:
> * "If you add a new entry, remember to ..."
> * "When modifying this enum, update the table in ..."
> * "Display names for enums in ..."
> * etc.
>
> But comments can be accidentally overlooked, so adding the
> compile-time asserts can help eliminate human error.

For some of them it could help, and we could think about a better
location for that stuff than an unused routine. The indentation of
your patch is weird, with "git diff --check" complaining a lot.

If you want to discuss more about that, could you add that to the next
commit fest? Here it is:
https://commitfest.postgresql.org/25/
--
Michael