Re: PATCH: logical_work_mem and logical streaming of large in-progress transactions

From: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Konstantin Knizhnik <k(dot)knizhnik(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
Cc: Alexey Kondratov <a(dot)kondratov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Erik Rijkers <er(at)xs4all(dot)nl>, Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PATCH: logical_work_mem and logical streaming of large in-progress transactions
Date: 2019-09-16 20:57:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Sep 16, 2019 at 10:29:18PM +0300, Konstantin Knizhnik wrote:

>On 16.09.2019 19:54, Alexey Kondratov wrote:
>>On 30.08.2019 18:59, Konstantin Knizhnik wrote:
>>>
>>>I think that instead of defining savepoints it is simpler and more
>>>efficient to use
>>>
>>>BeginInternalSubTransaction +
>>>ReleaseCurrentSubTransaction/RollbackAndReleaseCurrentSubTransaction
>>>
>>>as it is done in PL/pgSQL (pl_exec.c).
>>>Not sure if it can pr
>>>

>>Both BeginInternalSubTransaction and DefineSavepoint use
>>PushTransaction() internally for a normal subtransaction start. So
>>they seems to be identical from the performance perspective, which
>>is also stated in the comment section:
>
>Yes, definitely them are using the same mechanism and most likely
>provides similar performance.
>But BeginInternalSubTransaction does not require to generate some
>savepoint name which seems to be redundant in this case.
>

>>Anyway, I've performed a profiling of my apply worker (flamegraph is
>>attached) and it spends the vast amount of time (>90%) applying
>>changes. So the problem is not in the savepoints their-self, but in
>>the fact that we first apply all changes and then abort all the
>>work. Not sure, that it is possible to do something in this case.
>>

>Looks like the only way to increase apply speed is to do it in
>parallel: make it possible to concurrently execute non-conflicting
>transactions.

True, although it seems like a massive can of worms to me. I'm not aware
a way to identify non-conflicting transactions in advance, so it would
have to be implemented as optimistic apply, with a detection and
recovery from conflicts.

I'm not against doing that, and I'm willing to spend some time on revies
etc. but it seems like a completely separate effort.

regards

--
Tomas Vondra http://www.2ndQuadrant.com